Alvin, TX asked in Internet Law, Libel & Slander, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Texas

Q: Is it legal to post on social media for someone to cause bodily harm to another person?

" Do the world a favor and die already..." Your mother is a drunk whore"..... " Pull their nails out, I'll pay good money...." Use for shark bait, then post a casket with the caption- "Coming Soon" constant degradation, and then I'm just going to say it, "Sharks aren't eating enough people..."is it legal to punch a dead person in the casket?

She has been doing this for almost 2 years, she has numerous unsavory people she associates with asking them to help her cause me bodily harm. Wearing a devil costume sacrificing an animal head to a fire pit.

She is currently on charges of Assault on a family member, unlawful carrying a gun, and a drug charge, Jury trial on 03/30/20. I have lived in hiding for the last couple of years. I am almost 60 and I just can't take anymore

Although I do not communicate with her, she continues this vile behavior. AND, she is the mother of my grandchildren.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should probably block and "unfriend" any person who posts that type of garbage. Depending on the exact details, it could be nothing or It could be the misdemeanor crime of Harassment if it happens once or it could be the felony crime of Stalking if it happens on multiple occasions.

The punishment range for Stalking is 2 to 10 years in the state penitentiary and a fine up to $10,000. A victim of Stalking could also seek a protective order pursuant to Chapter 7A of the Code of Criminal Procedure which, if granted, could require the person who is found to have committed Stalking to not communicate with the applicant in any way ever again. It could go as far as forbidding the Stalker from even using social media and violation of such a protective order can be punished as its own separate crime or as contempt of court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.