San Clemente, CA asked in Divorce and Military Law for California

Q: I filed for divorce in orange county, CA but my husband is military and didnt respond. Hes not deployed.

I filed and served him back in November. But because he is military, I am unable to get it sent to default, and I'm not sure what the next steps are to get it finished

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Peter Anderson
Stephen Peter Anderson
  • Santa Maria, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The Court can be asked to appoint an attorney to represent him under the Soldiers and Sailors Act. That attorney will ensure his rights are protected and so you can proceed with getting all your issues resolved. That he is not deployed is a good thing, as he will be available to testify in case a hearing is required.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.