Flower Mound, TX asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Texas

Q: Can I get out?

I’m 17 and live in Texas I need to leave my house because of constant mental abuse, control, and threats of physical violence when ever my Legal guardian drinks or does not get her way. I don’t know the extant of her parental rights as my mother is dead and my father has been in and out of jail and at one time signed over partial rights but I do not know what she can do with them and if she could report me as a runaway if I just leave do I have an illegals options that would get me out ASAP. I have a place to go all I would need was for the police to help my collect my belongings and keep her from trying to force me to come back.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Glynn Busby Jr
Michael Glynn Busby Jr
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I would suggest to join military service or get married. But in Texas, you need to file a suit to emancipate yourself to be an adult.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.