San Antonio, TX asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Texas

Q: just turned eighteen and ive been wanting to move out of my parent house from the get-go. what should i be aware of?

what are some crucial details that could potentially hinder my chances at getting out of the household?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Glynn Busby Jr
Michael Glynn Busby Jr
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In Texas you are emancipated at 18. Your parents can no longer force you to stay such that a judge or the police would require compliance with your parents decisions, but they can cancel your health and/or dental insurance, not advise you on life in general. Perhaps you should go looking for an apartment and check costs to pay deposits, costs of furniture, and come up with a budget for your move? I joined the Army National Guard at 17, then changed over to the Marines at 18. That is the sure fire to get out fast and get your rent, plus health insurance paid up. Plus you get to travel. God bless

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.