Seattle, WA asked in Car Accidents for Washington

Q: What should I do when someone with no auto insurance hit my car?

My car was parked at my apt parking lot and we just got contacted by our apt office that our car got hit by someone. They gave us contact # of that person. When we contacted, he says he does not have insurance and he just started working. But also, he says he would like to pay for the damage if we get the estimate from body shop. In this case, should we have him sign something first? We are just confused what we should do in this case.. Please advice us what to do. Thank you in advance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Port Orchard, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: If you have insurance that would cover it, you could make a claim through them.

If not, you have some options. If he doesn't pay, you can report him to the DOL for an uninsured accident, and they have the power to suspend his license if he doesn't compensate you. Also, if he left the scene without leaving contact information you could report him to the police for hit and run.

With those remedies out there, you might approach him and make an agreement that if he signs a payment agreement with you, you will not report him to DOL. Once you have a written agreement, if he were to not pay you could enforce that in court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.