Stockton, CA asked in Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: Will I encounter issues obtaining a marriage license if my fiancé married in CA, and got an annulment in Washington?

My fiancé was first married in San Joaquin County, California (where we currently live), and then moved shortly to Washington (State). Her ex-husband (recently remarried himself) claims he petitioned for an annulment in Snohomish County back in 2011. Will I encounter problems when going to apply in San Joaquin County for a marriage license since they didn't petition for annulment in California?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Darlington
Mike Darlington
  • Shingletown, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If the marriage was annulled legally in another state, California would honor that Judgment. However, you do not sound sure it was annulled. I would get proof of it being annulled legally; otherwise it may cause troubles for you down the road - such as making your new marriage invalid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.