Goode, VA asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Litigation and Domestic Violence for Virginia

Q: In Powhatan county Virginia I have a Protective Order for my children against my wife's paramour. How do I extend it?

My wife's paramour was found to have abused my children. I have full custody. The Protective order was issued after a Full Hearing was held with all parties present. The judge only issued it for 60 days so I could get it in front of my county's Custody court for a modification to make the no contact with the paramour permanent. I have a hearing on the docket. The PO expires before the motion to amend court date. I want to have the PO extended but was told by the clerks that I "have to wait until the very last day and come in and file for a new PO. This doesn't make can that be considered an "extension" if I am filing a new one. I have read that I have a right to file for an extension but it must be done BEFORE the expiration date of the original PO. The clerks mentioned that the in force PO was "final" and since it was final I had to start a new one on the day of expiration. Does this make sense/true? Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I regret that I do not handle protective order case or domestic relations matters. Sorry.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.