Sacramento, CA asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability and Lemon Law for California

Q: I bought a used car the guy assured me there was nothing major was wrong

he assured me Nothing major was wrong with the vehicle. I had no one to check the car out for me I'm single mother of two young children, saved up because I needed a car and 1 months later the transmission is out I believe he knew the transmission was going out and did not tell me is there anything I can do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A California attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. As a general matter, private sales often tend to be "as is." I'm sorry for the difficult situation the purchase has put you in, but unless the seller included some form of written warranties, assurances, or representations as to the sound mechanics of the vehicle, or took measures to conceal something or other deceitful or fraudulent actions, these situations tend to leave a buyer with little recourse. You could consult with a California attorney to see their take on it - they could give you the most meaningful assessment based on state law. But keep in mind that as a GENERAL matter in many of these private sale settings, it could sometimes be better to cut losses rather than compound losses in pursuing remedies that carry uncertainty. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.