Centralia, IL asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Contracts for Illinois

Q: im being sued for a car that i haven't paid on because i was intoxicated and couldnt afford it in the first place

in an attempt to get away from the drugs and get a job that would allow me to keep the car i moved to a different state and while in the other state the cars ecu blew up while i was driving and i didnt have insurance on the car yet then the bank had it repoed and told me it was a blown up motor which it wasnt but i couldnt prove it cause the car was gone now im not sure how to go about this im being sued for 15k double what the car was bought for i want to file for bankruptcy but i would like to see about other options as well

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You can negotiate with the creditor to resolve it. Offering a lump sum payment as resolution might go a long way to settling it. If not, your only other option is bankruptcy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.