Dimmitt, TX asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, White Collar Crime and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas

Q: Can I hold a code enforcement official accountable for making false accusations, criminal

Code enforcement made a false accusations and had our water turned off,his accusation was that there was a water source going into a RV that is used as storage,he went as far as to say that he had pictures, which he couldn't of had because there is no water going into or out since it was placed there, and when police arrived I told him of the crime that city official had just committed,he stated that official did nothing wrong, imidiatly I requested a supervisor he refused we asked name and badge # he refused,that's not very professional,and him taking sides and not taking action,when a crime had just committed is very serious

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The offense of TAMPERING WITH GOVERNMENTAL RECORD is defined in chapter 37 of the Penal Code which is available online here: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.37.htm#37.10

There might be a problem proving that it was intentional rather than accidental or negligent. Also, a private citizen can REPORT a criminal offense but you can't really file or prosecute a criminal case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.