Asked in Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: I married &moved with my husband in 2019 leaving my job(no income) what financial comp/support can I ask after divorce

I am currently completely dependant financially on him, since I dont have a work permit in the US. Also for the wedding it was agreed that we split expenses which never happened, I and my parents ended up paying for everything.

We don't have any children together.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chris M. Bradford
Chris M. Bradford
  • Santa Monica, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In the divorce you can ask for spousal support, formerly known as alimony. Spousal support for a marriage less than ten years can be paid for up to half the length of the marriage. For example if you were married before separation for 20 months you can ask for spousal support for up to 10 months. You can also ask for one-half of the assets accumulated during the marriage from earnings of husband and/or wife during the marriage if there is anything saved up or purchased with marriage money. If the marriage is over, the sooner you start the better. You need a more in depth interview to explore everything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.