Glen Burnie, MD asked in Immigration Law for Maryland

Q: please help

i have a girlfriend who is 37 with 2 kids she came here three years ago but she never renew the visa so she can not get citzenship she is also married but she wants to divorce him but he threaten to take her kids and he said if she goes back to her country he will have her killed he even said he will pack up her kids in the middle of the night and go back to her country and make sure she can no go back please help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: There are international child abduction laws that would prohibit that. Your girlfriend needs to consult a family law lawyer to take steps to prevent that. Court orders in addition to placing a hold on her children’s passports etc are some of the steps to take. A family law lawyer needs to be consulted without delay. If you’re a US citizen you can sponsor her (as long as she entered legally, even though she is out of status) once her divorce is final for her green card.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.