Cleveland, OH asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Employment Law and Family Law for Ohio

Q: Is it likely possible my kids father who spends 1/2 a day a week at most with them to get shared time to avoid support?

We have been together off and on over 10 years. I’ve always took care of them and had them with me. He rarely ever spends time with them due to running a buisness and constantly working. No paternity test established other than store bought. He’s not on the birth certificates. I’ve been working for his buisness and living together in him and his brothers home. He cheated and tells me one day I need to leave and focus on myself that he will help with the kids. Therefor I suddenly lost my job and was replaced by his new girlfriend. Now being threatened with eviction during the corona pandemic. I also have leukemia. He claims he wants shared custody although he sees them at most Sundays for half the day. I have a past of drug abuse although I’ve been on medication and doing well for awhile. I have no childcare or income. He threatens he will take me to court for custody and would spend as much money it takes to win. He works all day everyday & would pawn them off on Family.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: A court will review all the facts to determine what parenting arrangement is in the best interest of the children. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family law attorney to review your situation and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.