Corona, CA asked in Criminal Law, Banking, Civil Litigation and Identity Theft for California

Q: How do I subpoena a bank to produce records on fraudulent checks paid? Need to find out what account they were deposited

I freelance as a QB accountant and doing this for one of my clients. Their bank produced years of checks, but can only tell me which financial institution they were presented. I need to find out the name and account number from the respective banks. It is several thousand dollars.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

have you tried to do this informally?

you would have to file a lawsuit as I see it.

maybe you can file in small claims for up to $10k and subpoena with that lawsuit. If the matter is only a few thousand small claims may be your answer.

lawyers don't handle small claims.

you might want to see up a consultation with a civil lawyer that will give you a free consultation.

after s/he hears all the facts inquire from that lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.