Los Angeles, CA asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Domestic Violence for California

Q: Can my daughter and I move to another state without letting my exhusband know?

Our divorce is finalized plus there is an active restraining order protecting me and my daughter from my exhusband. I was awarded sole physical and legal custody. He has not contacted or provided child support for over 2 years. Will other states honor this restraining order?

2 Lawyer Answers
Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Generally speaking, other states will honor the restraining order but each state varies on how to get the order registered in its system and so on. You should consult with an attorney in the state that you are considering relocating to, prior to leaving California.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The answer most lawyers will give when asked a legal question is IT DEPENDS. Unless a lawyer has received all the facts s/he can’t spit out a credible answer. Junk in equals junk out.

Every case is unique, and more information is needed to properly answer your query intelligently. In other words it is usually both case and client specific. Does the client have a record? For what? How long ago?

I would initially caution you NOT to discuss your case on an open forum like this. You should also not discuss it on any social media.

It is always a good idea to contact a lawyer local to you, that handles these types of cases in the court where you would have to appear. Many lawyers do not charge a consultation fee.

Most DUI and Accident lawyers will offer a free consultation to review the facts. For other areas of law, many lawyers will bill for a consultation. Try to get a local legal consultation.

In other words, I am in Palm Springs and you don’t want to hire a Palm Springs lawyer for an LA case. In those cases, I usually try to refer the potential client to a lawyer more proximate to where this happened.

The best person to ask for this advice is the lawyer who represented you on the divorce.

someone has to see what the judge put in is order. I would also have a meeting with a lawyer in the new state for guidance.

If you need help finding a good lawyer and are in a position to retain a private lawyer, please contact me.

Good Luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.