Spokane, WA asked in Personal Injury and Insurance Bad Faith for Washington

Q: The guy that ran me over his dad has insurance it's umbrella insurance for the hole family..its 2 million policy

Now would that cover the son while driving a uninsured truck or can I sue him

2 Lawyer Answers

A: You can always make a claim against someone who hits you with a vehicle. If I'm understanding your question correctly, I think your asking whether the father (and therefor his insurance) might also cover your injuries. The answer is "maybe." You need a lawyer to help you figure that out.

The answer to whether the father might have responsibility too depends on lots of questions. How old is the son/guy? Did he have his father's permission to drive the vehicle? Who owns the vehicle? Does the son live with the father? Was the son doing something for the father at the time of the wreck? What does the umbrella policy say about who it covers?

There are any number of scenarios where dad's insurance might cover your claims, and there are lots of scenarios where it wouldn't. Patrick Trudell in Kirkland can help you figure out the answers. (425) 822-2200.

1 user found this answer helpful

Kevin R. Richardson
Kevin R. Richardson
  • Seattle, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Quite possibly but more facts would be needed to determine the proper answer. Feel free to contact me at (253) 848-4208 if you'd like to discuss this matter further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.