Columbia Station, OH asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Ohio

Q: My question is about worker's compensation.

Over the last few years I've been injured at work 3 times and filed a workers comp claim for 2 of them (first and third). For those 2, my boss had me cancel each claim and say that I didn't need the benefits anymore. He wanted me to do this so his number of processed claims and insurance premiums wouldn't go up. He told me that if I cancelled the claims he would help me financially, as well as help with medical bills. I agreed to this because I've known the family for many, many years and I didn't want to hurt the company in any way. I figured it was 2 friends just helping eachother out. Over the weeks I was unable to work due to each injury he did indeed cut me a check to help me along. However, I have recently found a new place of employment. I gave a 2 week notice and tomorrow is my last day, but he is now telling me I need to pay him back that money that he "loaned" me and is holding my last 2 paychecks as repayment. Is there anything I can do, or did I paint myself into a corner?

1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Klingshirn
Neil Klingshirn
  • Independence, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You are entitled to your last two paychecks.

Although it is not entirely clear that an agreement to waive workers compensation claims is enforceable, that is what your employer entered into. Specifically, your employer agreed to pay for (some) wages and medical costs if you did not file a workers compensation claim. You both performed the agreement. Your employer cannot later unilaterally change an agreement to pay for the costs of your injury into a loan.

Your main problem is that your employer possesses your pay check and possession is 9/10ths of the law. However, an Ohio law, ORC 4113.15,, can help. It adds $200 to the amount of unpaid wages that you can recover. Ohio also allows you to pursue this claim in small claims court, which is part of your municipal court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.