Las Vegas, NV asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Michigan

Q: My dad passed away which he lived in Michigan. Never married. Two kids grandma is now taking me to court for his house

Can she do this? Im the oldest brother is not 18 yet. She said she wants the house in her name and if anything happens to her then the house would go to me. I thought I was next of kin. Please help with any advice. So being that I am over 21 she can still get the house from us?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You are - likely - the next of kin and entitled to half of your dad's estate. Grandma may try - and could be named personal representative.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.