New Philadelphia, OH asked in Business Law, Contracts, Health Care Law and Collections for Ohio

Q: Can do anything to fight my health insurance company for an over payment claw back? What type of lawyer do I need?

I started a new career 2 years ago and was able to get health insurance through my company. I have some health issues, so rather than cancelling the insurance coverage from my wife, I had her policy switched to my secondary insurance and my new policy as my primary. Yesterday we received a stack of letters from the insurance company saying it paid as the primary and we owe them thousands of dollars. I know most of the over payment should be resolved between the two insurance companies, but until the dust settles, I don't want to have my (tenuous) credit rating destroyed, and I can't afford to loan the insurance companies money while they resolve this.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Ohio attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. What type of lawyer? It looks like you already did a good job of identifying the categories - health care law and collections. You could reach out to attorneys in those categories. If you engage an attorney who would handle this on an hourly basis, if possible, try to get an idea of what the project could roughly cost. This project could involve speaking with representatives of both carriers, retrieving old bills, retrieving old claims and denials, verifying records of overpayments, etc. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.