Aberdeen, WA asked in DUI / DWI and Car Accidents for Washington

Q: Are you able to have copies of your Discovery File ? When is the latest you can fire a attorney? Grounds on firing ?

Present attorney has no witnesses.

Has had 4 years to get any info on clients behalf .

Was tested and given her rights at hospital while under drugs . Client answered questions she didn’t even know she was asked . All info was taken will client was out of it in hospital after surgery.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Port Orchard, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Good questions.

Can you have a copy of the discovery from your file? There is actually a law that severely limits your lawyer's ability to just give you a copy of your file. It may be possible, but may require some redactions. Ask your lawyer about your particular case. You can also request a copy of the police investigation materials directly from the investigating police agency via a public records request. Most police departments let you make that request through their website.

When / how to 'fire' a lawyer. You can almost always hire a different lawyer to replace your current lawyer. If you are close to a trial date and the switch would cause delay, there are circumstances where a judge might deny the request. But that is a rare circumstance. If the lawyer was court-appointed though, and you want the court to appoint a different lawyer, the answer is different. While the law requires the court provide an attorney, it does not require that it be the lawyer of your choice. You can always ask a judge to replace your court appointed lawyer, but in most cases the answer is probably going to be no. If you are hiring a lawyer, you don't have to have any 'grounds' to make the switch.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.