Huntington Park, CA asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: I have a divorce case, I want to file Spousal as well, what form do I need to fill out? Does mental abuse play a part?

I previously had a dcfs case and I didn't get physical custody, and I was only given joint custody, and supervised visits once a week for 4 hours. I wanted to modify that since I didn't have anyone truly fight my case. I want to modify my child custody and also issue a spousal support claim, since we were legally married for 9 years almost 10, and he abandoned the home not me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sandy Lynne Meade
Sandy Lynne Meade
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You will need to file a Request for Order(whichis a motion) for modification of child custody, visitation and support since dcsf had an open case you csn try to file there but they may send you to family court to file a separate notion or new action in fanily court (counties vary on this issue) . please note you must be able to show a change of circumstances to get a current custody and visitation order changed andprovethe change isin the best interest of the child (not your best interest). make sure you conpleted any and all classes, counseling, etc previously ordered by the court prior to filing your motion too good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.