Los Angeles, CA asked in Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: Can I stop spouses support after I retire or right before. It was a long term marriage

Married for 24 years, divorced in 2001. Can I go back to court and have the spousal support dropped. Because I'm going on social security soon income is going to change. My income is going to be a lot lower.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: When your income drops due to a change in circumstances, such as you describe, then yes, the court will likely reduce or eliminate spousal support. Shortly before you retire and start collecting social security instead of getting your usual pay check, then you should file a Request for Order to Modify Spousal Support. Do note that you need to be of retirement age, 65 or older. This request won’t be granted if you retire early. I strongly encourage you to contact an attorney who can give you fact specific advice for your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.