San Francisco, CA asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: In California, can residents get Gavin Newsome to stop enacting laws that negatively affect the state?

Newsome has intentionally taken the voting rights away from residents by signing executive orders on issues that negatively affect residents in BIG WAYS. The rights of residents to vote, basically removing the only way residents can have that voice heard. He needs to be stopped and the residents given the rights back that have been stolen right in front of us who live here unable to flee the destruction by a self appointed ruler.

1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Is this a serious question or are you just ranting about your disagreement with actions by the Legislature and the Governor? First, he was not "self appointed" he was elected by a majority of the California Voters that actually voted in the last election. Next, he can only sign into law the laws passed by the Legislature or enact executive orders within his granted powers, subject to the review by the Courts. (three branches of government, remember 8th grade?). The Gov. has not enacted any laws taking away voter's rights that have been upheld by the Court and your comment is the first I have heard that someone claims he has. IMO he wants as many people to vote in the next election, as possible. So to directly answer your question, you can file a lawsuit contesting any action by the Gov. that personally affects you if you want to put up the $250,000 to retain an attorney to file and pursue the case for you. There are a lot of attorneys in SF and SAC who would be pleased to do it for you. Call one up.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.