Chicago, IL asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: Landlord attempted to enter my apartment forcibly.

Landlord claimed to smell illegal drugs, he attempts to push me out the way to enter the appartment, I informed him that's illegal, if he think I'm doing something illegal, call the cops, he did so, they found nothing because I don't any type of drugs. What made me mad is the fact he tried to enter the appartment without proper notice and tried to do so forcible. What can I do to ensure this doesn't happen again?

1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can file a police complaint. You could also file a civil case against the landlord to prevent future attempts to push past you; however, most would not want to invest the funds necessary to litigate the matter and instead simply take precautions such as setting up video recording equiptment in the apartment to document any future violations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.