Livingston, TN asked in Libel & Slander, Personal Injury, Sexual Harassment and Adoption for Tennessee

Q: if I signed something while under the influence of something &also having a mental disability & didn't understand

i was lied to about everything from the beginning! first medical purposes only then I got a letter in the mail saying that I owed child support weeks and weeks later when the ones helping me with the child told me the reason they were offering me their help was because they could afford it and they seen what perdicament we were in and seen we needed the help..but yet ran and got families first which they blamed the child support on but according to them, they needed no financial help at all until we got back on our feet & I got healthy again. so they told me that the only way to get the child support to stop is to sign adoption papers... I had no one to help me left in my family that could or would. my mom passed before I even had kids, my dad was an alcoholic that was too preoccupied with his girlfriend's daughter and my grandparents were just too old and no one to help explain what was going on the whole time & also had a man of superior statute blackmail me for sexual favors&judgeTo

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Charles Wright
Mr. James Charles Wright
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The law presumes people understand and read what they signed. Otherwise it would be really hard to enforce contracts. All someone would have to say is "I didn't understand" or "I didn't read."

On the other hand if you have a mental disability that would prevent you from understanding - then you may have a defense. This is a tough burden because of the desire to have agreements enforceable,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.