Cumberland, MD asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Maryland

Q: Can I bring a lawsuit against a sitting judge who failed to register a Will when she was a Lawyer and paid to do so now

May 2003 paid Lawyer to do power of Attorney and Will was paid to register with Orphan court and she did not I have the information on paying the bill on my checking account

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Not sure what you mean by "paid to do so now." If you want to sue a sitting judge, you cannot sue for judicial acts in most cases as judges enjoy immunity. If you are asking whether you can sue a judge in the capacity as an attorney, the answer may be yes. But you may also be well outside the statute of limitations for malpractice, breach of contract, etc., depending on what claims you're looking to file. Consult with a local attorney to best determine your options. Many more facts are needed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.