Park Ridge, IL asked in Divorce and Libel & Slander for Illinois

Q: My girlfriend is in divorce proceedings. Her ex has brought me up in court docs. Can I sue for defamation?

I have been brought up negatively in multiple court docs and lawyer to lawyer emails. I have never had interaction with the ex. For example he won't let me babysit their children, but they can live in my house once divorce is settled. Calls people who can watch his kids as responsible adults? I don't qualify. Ex's therapist brought me up in a 13 page document, which is a hippa violation, and again I have never ever met or spoken to said therapist.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: First, this is not a question for Justia's divorce lawyers. You should redirect it to the libel/slander or injury lawyers.

Second, you have not given enough facts to warrant a responsible answer. You should meet in person with an attorney who does this work, so you can explain everything to him/her, e.g.,you have not explained how you were damaged.

Third, you will likely have difficulty getting an attorney to take your case unless you are willing to pay him/her out of your own pocket. This would not be the type of case where the lawyer charges only if they collect.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.