Mesquite, TX asked in Employment Law, Business Law, Collections and Constitutional Law for Texas

Q: How do I collect on a case that was granted in my favor in court. And is still growing interest

The company never showed up for court after being served they moved the company on the same day

1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: There are several things that need to happen. The first is usually to prepare (or request the clerk to prepare) an abstract of judgment and record it in the real property records in any county where your judgment debtor owns (or may own) real property. Next, see if you can determine what assets they may have that are subject to execution. For a company, that's everything. Then request a writ of execution and have the Constable serve it on the debtor. It's helpful if you can tell them what property might be available. You can send post judgment discovery to ask about the assets, take a deposition to ask about the assets, or have a receiver appointed to collect. If it's a significant judgment, you need to consider hiring an attorney to help you.

Sarah S. Shepard agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.