Fairfield, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: I worked for state prison in calif took sick at home tryed to return to work company said no because i was on a walker

Few months went by rtn to work said come 2 work in the meantime i put n for retirement change date 2 they took sooner and told me i had to leave and they thru away other retirement ppwk.can anything be done

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your question does not contain enough information to give any kind of solid guidance to you. Factors such as what your job duties were, the length of time you were out and the time you were going to be walker-bound, whether you could perform the essential functions of your job while using a walker, whether there were reasonable accommodations that could have been offered to you to allow you to continue to perform the essential functions of your job, whether there were other open positions available that you could have been moved to where you could have performed the essential functions of your job with or without accommodations, and several other pieces of information must be learned.

Your best move is to locate and consult with an experienced employment law attorney as soon as possible to explore your facts and determine your options. I would suggest you look either on this site, or go to www.cela.org, the home page for the California Employment Lawyers Association, an organization whose members are dedicated to the representation of employees against their employers.

Most employment attorneys who practice this area of law offer a free or low cost consultation in the beginning and then, if the matter has merit and value, will usually agree to work on a contingency basis, meaning you can hire an attorney without paying any money until the matter results in a positive outcome for you. Many advance all the costs of the litigation as well. Do not let fear of fees and costs keep you from finding a good attorney.

Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.