Houston, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Texas

Q: If a minor's last name was changed in Georgia, but the father was living out of state and was never notified?

If a minor's last name was changed in Georgia, but the father was living in Texas and was never notified, is there anything the father can do to reverse it? The father's address was known and he continuously paid child support but he never received notification or gave his written consent.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rick  Davis
Rick Davis
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bryan, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The answer to your question depends on Georgia law and the Georgia rules of procedure. Had this happened in Texas, the father could theoretically file a Motion for New Trial if he did so within 30 days of the date of the Judgment. If he learned about it after 30 days, he could theoretically file a Petition for Bill of Review.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.