Huntsville, TX asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Texas

Q: What can I do about a supplemental insurance company's mistake resulting in my info being sent to a coworker?

Local insurance agent put a coworker's address in my account when we were enrolling (along with at least one other typo; birthday is/was wrong). Been going back and forth with him and the corporate customer support team. I can't get a refund and terminate my account, because I cant verify my identity, because no matter what I tell them, the information won't match because of the agent's mistakes! The agent rarely gets back to me, was supposed to have his supervisor call me and never did, and seems to be avoiding me altogether. When I insisted repeatedly that I wanted a refund and to end my policy, he kept insisting that I let him keep trying to fix the issue because of how "great" my policy is. Did the agent act negligent under law, by submitting my information with blatant errors, which resulted in me being unable to submit at least one claim, and my personal info being sent to a coworker?

1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Was the agent negligent? Sounds like it. But at this point it's not clear what your damages are. If they fix the problem, you won't have any damages. No damages means no claim against the agent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.