Irving, TX asked in Employment Law for District of Columbia

Q: Washington DC employer refuses employment verification.

Last year my employment was terminated by a non-profit based out of Washington DC. It was because I anonymously blew a whistle on my supervisor's conduct. I was told if someone were to call for employment verification, the organization would only give out the start and the end date. Considering that DC is an at-will-employment jurisdiction, I was ok with that. And, instead of fighting, I decided to move on. Recently I got a new job. However, during the background check, I was informed that my former employer is not returning calls to confirm my employment dates. I tried contacting my former employer to find out why that is so. I did not get any response. My question is:

1) Can an employer not respond to the employment verification request?

2) If they continue to do so, what options do I have (I worked for them for over 20 years).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew T. Famiglietti
Matthew T. Famiglietti
  • Washington, DC
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: It is highly unusual for a former employer not to give verification of employment of a former employee. Usually the verification is very general, for example Mr Smith worked for Company A from Jan 1 2020 to Jan 1 2021. You would need to contact a licensed attorney in DC for a more in depth consultation in terms of the facts of the situation. This format is not meant to take the place of a virtual consultation. Most attorneys are giving phone consultations due to the Covid pandemic.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.