Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Small Claims for Oklahoma

Q: My step mom forged my name on an life insurance policy that I was the only beneficiary on to herself. What can I do.

She broke into my house and stole the documents and, put in a change of address for mail to go from my house to hers. She also forged my signature to change the amount of the policy.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You need to contact the insurance company immediately and notify them. My advice is get a Post Office Box and send a formal letter to the insurance company giving them that address. Most likely you will need to file a police report for the criminal actions that took place, which I see at least 4 different potential charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.