Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Insurance Bad Faith legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Oklahoma Insurance Bad Faith Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Consumer Law and Personal Injury for Oklahoma on
Q: Is a supplemental medical Insurance company allowed to overrule “multiple doctors” severity of diagnosis determination?

“On December 28th of 2023, my wife became critically ill with Flu “A” and severe double pneumonia. She was taken to a hospital in Oklahoma City and placed on a ventilator. Sadly my wife suffered a hypoxic brain injury due to the lack of oxygen her brain was getting. Now she is in a nursing... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Feb 29, 2024

A Texas or Oklahoma attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. I'm sorry for your wife's ordeal. Carriers do deny claims on the basis of differing medical opinions. Only a local attorney could advise on the validity of the carrier's denial under... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Oklahoma on
Q: What kind of case am I dealing with house fire and restoration company billing for uncompleted work and insurance being

Restoration company through the whole house away the insurance company is now not wanting to do things that need to be done this fire was a one room in Feb and we are still not home HELP

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jun 30, 2024

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. To answer your question, you're dealing with a property loss or property damage case. It doesn't look like a "Bad Faith" claim (your posted category), since the carrier has the right to verify... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Oklahoma on
Q: I hired professional licensed and bonded mobile home movers. Can I make an insurance claim for damage?

There was significant damage to steel crossbeams making home unstable at that end. Also seven busted windows along with a stress point where it was twisted almost in half where roof sags badly now. Back toilet was knocked out of the floor whereas there is no support under tub now either. My... View More

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Sep 23, 2023

Yes, you can still make a claim on your insurance. Your insurance company will then be subrogated to any claim you have against the movers or the surety on the bond.

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Oklahoma on
Q: I’m an insurance agent who sells health insurance. Would it be illegal to sell my sons and me health insurance?

I already have around 20 clients. These policies I would be writing for me and my sons would not be over 25% of my total business. These policies on my sons and I are from the marketplace which means they are being subsidized by tax payers. If I were able to take ownership of the health... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 19, 2023

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. Until you're able to consult with a local attorney, most states have departments of insurance. They field many insurance-related questions from the public. Good luck

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Oklahoma on
Q: How can I find out about my life insurance policy through Massachusetts Indemnity and Life Insurance Company?

My father was my beneficiary but passed away in 1988. My mother had told me that she became the beneficiary. My stepfather recently passed away and my mother is in early demensia so we are getting all legal paperwork together. I found a photocopy of her updating the policy, but no original. Neither... View More

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 9, 2022

If the life insurance policy truly belongs to you, then all you have to do is call the life insurance company and ask, and you can update the beneficiary anytime you want. If you have been paying the premiums, then the life insurance policy probably belongs to you. If you have not been paying the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: My step mom forged my name on an life insurance policy that I was the only beneficiary on to herself. What can I do.

She broke into my house and stole the documents and, put in a change of address for mail to go from my house to hers. She also forged my signature to change the amount of the policy.

Charles Watts
Charles Watts
answered on Feb 9, 2021

You need to contact the insurance company immediately and notify them. My advice is get a Post Office Box and send a formal letter to the insurance company giving them that address. Most likely you will need to file a police report for the criminal actions that took place, which I see at least 4... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Insurance Bad Faith for Oklahoma on
Q: in a total loss claim can the insurance co deduct the salvage value from the actual cash value that is due for claimant

this was a five vehicle ,accident the fifth vehicle was a Ford F-250 truck and the insurance company for the driver's insurance co. accepted full responsibility for all damages by subrogation

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Mar 30, 2020

If the claimant wants to keep the car, yes they can say "well,you are getting back what the salvage value is." Now you need to determine how they figure that, and if what you get will allow you to repair the car to the level it can be inspected. If there are problems with that or other... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Insurance Bad Faith for Oklahoma on
Q: Where can I find the full list of laws or rules for Examination Under Oath in Oklahoma?

The 1 code listed is very vague. In California the list of EUO is at least 2 pages long on their website and it describes what is allowed and not allowed under EUO. Why is Oklahoma laws so vague concerning EUO? I’m not a policy holder and I’m a non driver on the policy, I’m also not a... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Feb 7, 2020

An Oklahoma attorney could answer you best, but your question remains open for two weeks. As a general matter, there might not be a great deal of EUO-specific law out there. It could possibly be addressed in state insurance regulations, either expressly or impliedly, as measures permitted by... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Car Accidents for Oklahoma on
Q: Must other driver’s insurance pay for damage to my unoccupied second vehicle that was uninsured?

My second vehicle was parked on the street and was not occupied. Another driver crashed into my vehicle causing a lot of damage. The other driver does have insurance. Will that driver’s insurance company be required to pay for the damage or will my state laws give them an ‘out’ since I was... View More

Jason Bolitho
Jason Bolitho
answered on Jan 2, 2020

That is frustrating situation to say the least! If you have the driver's insurance information, then contact the insurance company and file a claim against the driver's insurance for the property damage to your vehicle, diminished value (if applicable), and any other property damage that... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Insurance Bad Faith for Oklahoma on
Q: Are employers required to notify as self insured and will handle workers comp claims in house prior to employment?

I went through a claims experience that I didn’t appreciate because I was feeling pushed by my employer to sign off before I felt I was back to normal. She has done this on multiple occasions I have found out. Not looking to sue for money. But I wish to anonymously notify the correct agency so... View More

Melissa  Webb
Melissa Webb
answered on Sep 3, 2019

The 2014 Administrative Workers’ Compensation Act allowed employers to “opt out” of the state workers’ compensation system as long as they provided equal or better benefits. Since that time, the Oklahoma Supreme Court struck down the “opt out” provision. Employers can self-insure, but... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Oklahoma on
Q: A case was filed against me in U.S. District Court, Oklahoma Northern District, on July 5, 2017. Must I have a lawyer?

Suit by Met Life to reclaim life insurance paid to me in error. I was not at fault in any way but cannot repay. It was in 2014. Can I get advice?

Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
answered on Nov 30, 2017

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. YES, you should hire an attorney, if you haven't already. Representing yourself in Federal Court is much more difficult than in state courts, as I am sure you have learned by now.

Please visit my website,, and at the bottom of the...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Car Accidents for Oklahoma on
Q: My insurance company offered me $25k for totaled car, when my car has NADA clean retail value of $30k. What should I do?

Other driver was at fault. His ins. recommended I file under mine for time's sake and they'd reimburse them.

I did, and got a valuation report for around $25K (Including OK taxes and fees). None of the comps they chose had nav or premium sound like mine. Then they deduct... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jun 29, 2016

Lawyers give free consultations. If it did that much damage you may have an injury but just want to say "Oh, my shoulder, that 's nothing..." then months later you get a rotator cuff. So contact a member of the OK Trial Lawyers Assn --they give free consults. Look at your policy--do... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Insurance Defense, Car Accidents and Insurance Bad Faith for Oklahoma on
Q: if I was convicted of a UUMV am I liable for the money the insurance company gave the owner? Car was undamaged, returned

I was given the key by the owner. I did take a drive her car for a while before being arrested, whereas the car was returned to either the insurance company or the owner. There was no damage to the car. However, they are suing me (insurance company) for a sum of money equaling 6,800 dollars... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jun 29, 2016

Presumably they have an appraisers report saying there was damage. You have to prove their wasn't. Won't be that easy.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Insurance Bad Faith and Car Accidents for Oklahoma on
Q: My daughter jump out of a car after asking driver to stop. Can we sue the woman's insurance company?

My daughter was riding with someone when they got into an argument. My daughter asked the driver to pull over and let her out but she didn't so my daughter per the driver open the door and jumped out which I don't believe which cased the truck tire to hit her head. She died a week later... View More

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki
answered on Nov 8, 2015

Sorry for your loss. Talk to a local injury lawyer, who can review the details and advise. Yoiur daughter's decision to jump out of a moving care makes it a tough case.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Insurance Bad Faith and Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Can a car be siezed and impounded by police for out of date tags?

The car was parked in driveway on private property. Police came with no warning and impounded the car. Was not in any way a nuiscance or derelict as the city of Oklahoma is now claiming.

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Sep 11, 2015

You need to hire an attorney for this. The car has been siezed, yes it has already happened. The point here is that in order to do anything about it, you need to get an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith for Oklahoma on
Q: My daughter was struck from behind & offending drivers ins. not wntng to pay med bills w/out a signed release
Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson
answered on Nov 9, 2013

Ordinarily an insurer will want to make a single payment in settlement of the entire matter. There is not enough information here to determine if the settlement attempt is proper or if the settlement amount is in your daughter's best interest. You should consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.