Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Small Claims Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Consumer Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: How would I go about filling a claim against a company for False Advertisement on a large scale, hundreds of cases

I have contacted the BBB sent and the claim was resolved being that I was given assurance of my product being where it needed to be at a certain date and they emailed me (this was about 6 months ago) so.. I resolved it with the BBB thinking that everything was good yet they have continued to False... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 12, 2020

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, as your matter could involve elements of state consumer law, but you await a response for two weeks. If you are contemplating handling the matter yourself, small claims, which you have already included in your categories, could be the most economical solution... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: What can I do about a previous landlord opening my mail?

He refused to give me my mail so I had a cop go to his house to get it for me. My mail had been opened and he lied and told the cop his teenage son opened it. I have texts from his son stating he didn’t open it and he wasn’t even aware that I had gotten mail there

Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim answered on Jun 17, 2020

Taking and opening someone else mail is a Federal Offense. Call the United States Postal Service and ask to speak with an investigator on an issue of mail tampering.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims and Real Estate Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My mother passed in January, she was single and I'm her only child but there's no will stating who gets the house. What

Do I do? Or have to do to get my Mother's house?

Matt Fleischer
Matt Fleischer answered on Mar 28, 2020

I’m sorry for your loss. You will have to probate her estate in the county where she resided when she passed. However, if you are her only heir, it should be relatively inexpensive and fast, especially if her entire estate was worth $200,000 or less.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Lemon Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: Car dealer wont let me return after 2 weeks of issues, says will look like repo and hurt my credit.

Bought car 2 wks ago. Issues since day 3, check engine light came on, returned to shop ON day 3, drove home a week later, 24 hrs later, check engine light again. Didnt drive for a few days, keyfob died and couldnt start car. Frustrated. Talked to shop about returning car, said that the 'return... Read more »

David Humphreys
David Humphreys answered on Jan 6, 2020

Google for a consumer lawyer with a free case review and email or call.

Too complicated to answer in the space provided.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: I am being sued, and they said I was served but I wasn’t. Can this civil lawsuit be dropped on that basis?

The judgement was defaulted in the amount of $1550, since I didn’t appear because I wasn’t served at all.

Doak Willis
Doak Willis answered on Nov 4, 2019

Yes but you must file the necessary paperwork immediately and be ready to prove you were in fact not served.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: My boyfriend of 3 years and I bought a house together in May of this year, I recently found out he is cheating on me and

and has become abusive, how do i get him out of my house, and his name off of it

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Aug 25, 2019

You will probably have to file suit for Partition.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: If I am envolved in an Oklahoma Small Claims case can I ask the court to issue a subpoena for a witness to appear?
Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Apr 17, 2019


Okla. Stat. tit. 12 s 2004.1 says, "The clerk shall issue a subpoena, or a subpoena for the production of documentary evidence, signed and sealed but otherwise in blank, to a party requesting it, who shall fill it in before service."

Ask the court clerk to issue a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Collections, Health Care Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: can i sue my mom for not paying my medical bills even though I'm 18

she promised me and my dad that she would help contribute to my medical bills but hasn't given a cent. once i met the deductible this year, she went and got a sleep study. last year when i met the out of pocket she went and had nose surgery. i live with my dad but i am on her health insurance... Read more »

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Apr 9, 2019

If your mother agreed to pay your medical bills, then, legally, you can sue.

However, it may not be in your best interests, in the long run, to do this. A lawsuit will likely take you several years and cost you a lot of money. It could also destroy any relationship you may have with your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Juvenile Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: i (an 18 year old) live with my parents and they say they have the right to all of my things even if i paid for them

i recently went on a trip without my parents and when i got back i discovered they had gone through my room and taken a few things. of the things they took only one of them was something they had paid for.

Doak Willis
Doak Willis answered on Mar 31, 2019

You are an adult at age 18. Anything you purchased with your own money is your property no matter where you live. Even if your parents gave you money as a gift or you earned it, anything you purchase with those proceeds is your property.

2 Answers | Asked in Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: Neighbor claims a shingle from my roof fell and hit there car and scratched it am I reliable?

It was windy the other day and shingles from houses around me were blowing everywhere. Neighbor claimed that a shingle from my roof blew off and scratched their car and is threatening to take me to court. Am I reliable?

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Mar 27, 2019


In a negligence case, there are three questions that courts ask in deciding whether a defendant is liable:

1. Did the defendant owe a duty of care to the plaintiff?

2. Did the defendant breach that duty?

3. Did the defendant's breach of the duty cause...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: I got permission leave my property at the owners house and his son took it and soled it with out my knowledge

He has his new girlfriend's parents sell it in a garage sale what can I do ?

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Mar 25, 2019

If the buyers were innocent purchasers, and if they did not know that the seller had no right to sell it, then the buyers have legal title to the property. See Okla. Stat. tit. 12A sec. 2-403, here:... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury, Criminal Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: Does a vehicle have to yield to a pedestrian attempting to halt its movement by stepping in its path?

Two vehicles are in a parking lot. The elderly Driver of Vehicle A opens their door, loses their grip due to the wind, and the door swings into Vehicle B, leaving a deep dent (6" x 3" x 1/2"). The driver of vehicle B gets out and examine the damage. When B insists A is liable for... Read more »

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Mar 13, 2019

There are a number of offenses, for which each driver may be liable.

Driver A may be guilty of assault. "An assault is any willful and unlawful attempt or offer with force or violence to do a corporal hurt to another." Okla. Stat. tit. 21 sec. 641. A attempted to injure B with...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: I'm suing a married couple in small claims court. If only one of them gets served, can I get a judgment against both?

A married couple abandoned the house they rented from me, leaving thousands of dollars in damage. I've filed against them in small claims court in Oklahoma. The process server was able to serve the wife, but not the husband. They both have jobs, and I would like the judgment to apply to... Read more »

Doak Willis
Doak Willis answered on Dec 29, 2018

The process server can serve the spouse also so you can get personal jurisdiction over both. The server will have to file his return of service showing he served the husband by leaving his summons with the wife. They must live together where she was served.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: Can someone speak/represent someone with the defendant present, for a small claims civil matter?

Bought a "as is" car and signed everywhere that vehicle is "as is", yet taking us to court because the $1,050 vehicle has issues.

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on Sep 20, 2018

This is a great question. Generally judges are disinclined to allow a non-attorney to participate in proceedings. However, there is the authority to allow an agent under a power of attorney to participate on behalf of his or her Principal.

Attorney General Opinion 03-026 reads concludes...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: If I am sued for payday loans, will I be notified to appear so they can’t throw me in jail?
David Humphreys
David Humphreys answered on Aug 18, 2018

You cannot be thrown in jail for failing to pay a lender. You can be jailed for contempt of a court order. Follow the orders of the court and you won’t go to jail.

You may not have to pay if your income is ssa, ssd, retirement or certain other “exempt” income.

Check with a lawyer or legal aid.

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: Strangers broke down left their car on my property. Tried calling them, phone is off. Been here 25days. How to claim $?

I own this residential private property.

Failed attempts at contacting them. Have not heard from them in over 2 weeks.

Andrew Zulieve Esq
Andrew Zulieve Esq answered on Jun 8, 2018

File a report with the local police and let them investigate the matter for possible criminal charges.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: Will Walmart come after me? They have sent the 3 letter & it was dismissed by the court due to my mom having dementia

My mom was w me & she wasn’t scanning items & they thought she purposely took them & I tried to tell the security guy that it was a mistake & my mom has dementia but he wasn’t letting it go. It was dismissed by the court. I keep getting letters from Walmart to pay $100 & if... Read more »

Frank A. Urbanic
Frank A. Urbanic answered on Apr 23, 2018

They could go after you in civil court.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Divorce, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is it invasion of privacy if my mother in law read every text I have ever sent off my phone. And took screenshots to use

Against me for our upcoming court date, I am trying to get a protection order against my husband. And she used a key stroke memorization program to read everything i have ever sent off my phone withought my consent.

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on Apr 2, 2018

Hope this helps, there is probably also a federal statute:

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized

Title 21. Crimes and Punishments

Chapter 70 - Other Offenses Against Property Rights

Oklahoma Computer Crimes Act

Section 1953 - Unlawful Acts - Penalties

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: My fiance of 5 years and I split up he took my car because he said if I wasn't going to be with him I couldn't have it

We agreed for my son to take payments over on my car so that my fiance could buy a new truck and camper for work and I would take his old truck. Now that we split up he took the truck back and also kept everything else the house 2 boats camper 2 trucks what legal grounds do I have. He said he felt... Read more »

Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean answered on Mar 30, 2018

You should consult an experienced Family Law Attorney, in your area, for help with this problem. There are a lot of factors involved here. Being able to discuss all of them is necessary for the right decision on how to proceed.

Please visit my website and...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: Would being around hunters or attending hunts with others possessing firearms violate the VPO filed against me?
Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean answered on Dec 29, 2017

No it should not, as long as you're not in possession of firearms.

Please visit my website and Subscribe for updates on Oklahoma Law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.