Newport News, VA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Virginia

Q: Can the NC parent add our daughter to his insurance if I have legal custody and already carry coverage?

Recently, I reopened a CS order due to 1.5 years of non-payment based on a mutual agreement with the NC parent. Now that he is being legally ordered to pay CS, he mentioned adding our daughter to his health insurance. Since he is unable to make legal decisions based on the custody order, I wouldn't think he would be allowed to add her to his insurance. Also, I allowed him in the past to provide insurance in which he lied about the coverage having lapsed and I ended up paying out of pocket for several visits (he later reimbursed me). He also changes jobs frequently which will cause a lapse in coverage. I have carried insurance for my daughter since birth (with the one exception at his insistence) and she's had the same coverage through my employer for the last 7 years. Lastly, I believe the insurance company would require her SSN and I am not comfortable providing this since he has a big history of theft (from me, family, friends) and was previously convicted of fraud/forgery.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly L. DiCorrado
Kelly L. DiCorrado
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: In order to properly answer your question, there is more information that is needed. I would recommend that you consult with an experienced family law attorney to review the current issues you are facing with the child support and health insurance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.