Marina Del Rey, CA asked in Employment Law and Tax Law for California

Q: Can retroactively reclassifying IC to employees, ammend returns, pay EDD/IRS penalties counter a misclassification suit?

If a small business that is being sued for misclassifying employees as independent contractors, and the they choose to ammend payroll taxes, tax returns and retroactively reclassify these individuals, will it help in their position for the lawsuit? The plaintiffs were deceptive from the start and begged the owners who took them in like family to classify them as independent contractors since they claimed they contracted elsewhere. The small business owners would like to retroactively reclassify them, pay all penalties and ammend returns, but want to make sure it will not further them at a disadvantage with the legal case. The profession involved are youth sport coaches which falls under Governor Gavin Newsom's signed AB 2257, which immediately exempted them from the ambit of AB5.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It is wise that you think proactively, but you should not do anything until you have retained your defense attorney who can then guide you through the best way to deal with the alleged liability. And you should not try to defend this case yourself. These kinds of cases can be bet-your-company types of cases.

Keep in mind that whether you characterize it at deceptive, you as the employer have the sole legal duty to handle employees in compliance with the law. Employees will never be held to be culpable for their misclassification.

Good luck to you.

Robert Philip Cogan agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.