Santa Clarita, CA asked in Business Formation and Business Law for California

Q: What is the best way legally to file a foreign corp from Colorado to California and also could I later move to CA?

I purchased 2 shelf corps that are llc's and wanted to dba in california. I wanted to also ask is it legally better to have multiple companies under 1 llc or should they legally be divided?

2 Lawyer Answers
Robert P. Cogan
Robert P. Cogan pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This is not a one-size-fits-all. Do you want a dba in California or to register with the Secretary of State as a foreign corporation? It seems as though you could benefit from a consultation with an attorney to consider all the facts and to pick the alternative that best fits your business objectives.

Julie King
Julie King
  • Monterey, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This is a tough question to answer without more information. Many companies divide up their product lines into separate corporations so if one product has a liability issue, the revenue from the other products is not affected. But, the other side of the coin is that you have to pay a minimum of $800 per year for each company, plus prepare separate tax returns, etc. See a lawyer and explain why you want to have separate companies and the lawyer can advise you after asking a number of questions. Best wishes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.