Los Angeles, CA asked in Constitutional Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Elder Law for California

Q: Pro per Plaintiff had civil suit reassigned without my knowledge. Is there any procedure to discover why in California?

During initial hearing before new judge, it seemed as if she was not familiar with the case. She did not ask Defendant's atty to declare his presence so I have no idea if anyone was actually present. Lastly, she seemed completely befuddled, as though she had no idea what she was doing.

1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore Allan Greene
Theodore Allan Greene
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It's hard to know exactly your role in the case. Are you a defendant? Do you have an attorney? Without more information we can't really give you a good answer. If you have an attorney you should ask them. If you don't and you are a party in the case you should strongly consider getting one. Most judges do give a Pro Per a lot of leeway because they tend to make many mistakes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.