Asked in Employment Law and Immigration Law for Texas

Q: permanent employment certification

I got a job offer from a US company in Dallas,TX. I am from Egypt.They asked me to fill a form for permanent employment certification. Then send it to their law firm.Then the law firm asked me to pay

-Consultation/Legal Service Charge:$990.00

-Permanent employment certification Application filing fees:$1990.00.

I asked the company to pay for it they said no and that they will give me the money back when a start working and that they will cover my visa fees and flight tickets, etc.

I already sent to them my signed employment job offer, Passport copy ,completed permanent employment certification application form .

They asked me to transfer the money to a bank account in Turkey.

Note that I called both the company &the firm and the number was in Dallas and they seemed aware of the job detailed info.

Should I pay the money or this can be a fraud?

1 Lawyer Answer
Adan Vega
Adan Vega
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The federal regulations that you can find at 20 C.F.R. § 656.12 specifically indicate that the employer MUST pay ALL of the costs associated with the PERM process. These costs that must be paid by the employer include the attorney’s fees and costs of advertising for the position. Hence you can NOT pay the fees associated with the PERM process.

You will need to discuss this matter with your prospective employer.

Good luck to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.