District Heights, MD asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: I live in MD and I have filed a breach of lease against the tenant who I am renting my house to.

When I filed the form for eviction at District court, I check marked the box for 14 days breach of lease causing imminent danger. Is it possible to change the eviction notice to 30 days for breach of lease?

Also if I filed my case on January 25th and I issued a notice to quit/vacate property on January 1st and all of sudden after realizing tenant is destroying my property intentionally in retaliation. will the judge consider looking at my case or will it get thrown out? Do judges really look at 14 day breach of lease case? If I do go back to court and file a Failure to pay rent, Can I take possession of my property? since Tenant is already 4 months behind and did not sign Covid declaration which i handed to them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard A Englander
Leonard A Englander
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: That's a whole bunch of questions. In regards to the 14 days, if there is danger of imminent damage/harm, then yes, you could go for the 14 day notice.

In regards to will the judge really look at the notice: it depends on the judge, but yes, they should certainly be looking at it.

You can file a failure to pay rent action, but they are moving pretty slowly through the system. I would consult with a knowledgeable attorney so you can go through your options.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.