Irving, TX asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Texas

Q: Kids are 5 years apart. If my youngest was coaxed into staying w/ my oldest when she moved out 18+. Can I press charges?

Ex. My oldest has several mental health issues and ODD. Once she moved out, it would be likely she would 'get back at us (parents)' by convincing her little sister to run away and come stay with her when things at our house were unfair or she were being punished. Could I press charges on her for having a minor at her house without parental permission? What is the time increment? Hours? Days? Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The offense named Harboring a Runaway Child does NOT apply to siblings or grandparents. See: Texas Penal Code section 25.06(b). Also, the police solve their problems with ammunition. Don't use law enforcement to solve parenting problems.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.