Lakewood, OH asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Ohio

Q: Can I sue for withholding payment and emotional trauma?

I worked as a mortician's assistant for 1 FULL SHIFT (9 am - 5pm). Helped move multiple dead bodies, and after that 1 day, decided I can't handle the stress and sight of the dead rotting bodies. And after that, they are refusing to pay me for my time, even though the director said himself I'd be compensated even if new hires quit. (At an advertised $15/hr). And ever since then have felt nothing but guilt for all the bodies and scenes I've witnessed.

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Probably not for the emotional trauma. It sounds like what you experienced is within the parameters of your job. In other words, a jury would likely find that you should reasonably have known what to expect. If you worked and they have refused to pay you, then yes, you can sue for the one day's wages. I recommend finding an attorney who specialized in employment law in your area to assist you.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.