Irving, TX asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Texas

Q: If my oldest child were 18+ & coerced by manipulation my younger child a minor into running away could I press charges?

Ex. My oldest has several mental health issues and oppositional defiance disorder. Once she moved out, it would be plausible she would 'get back at us' (parents) by manipulating and convincing her little sister to run away and come stay with her when things at our house were 'unfair' or the younger one were being punished. Could I press charges on her (the older sister) for keeping a minor at her house without parental permission? What is the time increment? Hours? Days? Thank you.

This is a serious legal question about a mentally ill person, and not about 'using law enforcement to solve parenting problems'!

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It is a defense to prosecution for Harboring a Runaway Child that the actor was related to the child within the second degree by consanguinity or affinity, as determined under Chapter 573, Government Code. See section 25.06(b) of the Texas Penal Code.

A sibling relationship is the second degree of consanguinity. See section 573.023(c)(2) of the Texas Government Code.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.