Bensalem, PA asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Banking for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I sue Wells Fargo for an unauthorized charge which has since caused me financial hardship?

I had a car loan through Wells Fargo. I traded in that car to Carvana who agreed to pay off the loan. I have documentation from Wells Fargo that the loan was payed off in full 4/19/21. However, I was still charged my monthly payment of 408 on 4/25/21 through auto pay. This caused my wife’s and my bank account to go negative and charge us overdraft fees. I also was unable to invest that money I would have in AMC stocks which would have made me a profit. I also was forced to use my credit cards which in turn lowered my credit score due to credit utilization increase. I contacted WellsFargo who said they had no record of the transaction. My account on Wells Fargo has also disappeared since I am no longer able to sign online with my credentials.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: 1. Go to a wells fargo bank and find out why you can't sign on.

2. Get the records printed out at the bank.

3. Once you have those, keep them and only send copies.

4. Ask Wells fargo for a return of the autopay, and the related charges. The AMC stock is too far a consequence for the law to cover.Likewise getting into the credit card issue--I understand your issue, but the law only covers direct consequences, the fact that your credit is so structured that use of a credit card would affect your credit rating is something the law doesn't cover. (it may technically but few judges would give you tha).

5. If they don't file a complaint with the Attorney General's office and the Banking commission.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.