Sacramento, CA asked in Immigration Law and Employment Law for California

Q: Can the minor child (17) of someone currently on a work visa waiting to receive their green card work legally in the US?

17 year old hopes to find work while her mother is waiting to receive her green card. She has already applied and has been waiting for a while, her daughter wants to get a summer job in the meantime to help support the family. Is the daughter eligible to work if the parent is on a legal sponsored work visa and waiting for her permanent residency?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: Not this summer. The daughter must be a derivative beneficiary. That is, she must be able to qualify for adjustment of status based upon her mom’s current immigrant visa. This requires an understanding of how the current visa bulletin works.

I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any other complications.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.