Tulsa, OK asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Appeals / Appellate Law for California

Q: I received part of the settlement and the attorney has yet to get a hold of me what do I do?

My house burnt down my husband got an attorney they even worked with me into getting a settlement. My husband signed a paper saying that I was to get part of the settlement that his attorneys made him sign. And he already got paid his settlement I have tried to get ahold of the attorneys they will not return my calls they are in California I live in Arkansas I do have an attorney here and they will not return any calls or emails to this attorney in Arkansas nor myself do I have any rights in California to get paid the part of the settlement that is owed to me? Who do I get a hold of if the attorneys are not cooperating? I have yet to get any settlement!

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie King
Julie King
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Monterey, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I would send the law firm a letter by certified mail (so you can prove they received it) saying both your lawyer and you have called the firm on multiple occasions, yet never received a response. Then say something like: this is your final notice that I want the settlement money owed to me and, if I do not receive it by X date, I will make a complaint with the California Bar Association that you are improperly holding onto my money. They will call you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.