Reisterstown, MD asked in Immigration Law for Maryland

Q: Domestic Air Travel With Expired B-2 Visa After Filing For Change of Status

I have applied for change of visa status after my marriage to a US citizen from B-2 to Green Card. The application has been received by the USCIS and I only have receipts from USCIS for my application. Can I travel by air freely within the US after my B-2 visa expires while USCIS processes my immigration application? Please note that the photo ID I will show at the TSA counter will be my foreign passport which will have an expired visa.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: You should check with the airline that you will be travelling with but usually domestic travel does not require a valid visa, only valid ID. I would recommend that you bring the Notice of Action showing that you filed for your green card in case Border Patrol did get involved for some reason. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.