Charlotte, NC asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Insurance Defense for North Carolina

Q: I have been charged today (citation) for driving at 85mph on an highway with 65mph limit, lincoln county NC.

I am 26 living in NC and I don't have a single traffic ticket or violation so far and clean on my criminal records. Today I got a speeding citation(GS 20-141(J1)) on highway for driving 20mph over the limit of 65mph and was given court date. I am worried if this will impact my career since as per my research this will show up on criminal records during background check. Is there any chance for this to be reduced to not to include in my criminal records or dismissed? I am planning on hiring an attorney to represent. Please suggest an attorney who can take over these kind of cases. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charlie Gray
Charlie Gray
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Most counties reduce speeding tickets to give people an incentive to go ahead and take care of them. Technically, speeding at a high enough speed is treated as a criminal charge and, if convicted, would show up on a background check. Getting it reduced would address this and is usually how traffic tickets end up being resolved. For what it is worth, most employers, schools, etc. are not going to be as concerned with a speeding ticket as they would be a true criminal conviction (theft, assault, etc.).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.