Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
North Carolina Insurance Defense Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense for North Carolina on
Q: If an insurance company is in contract with a hospital in NC, can they balance bill for the rest of their charges?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 25, 2022

A North Carolina attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. As a general matter, it could depend on the terms of the arrangement between the hospital and the insurance company. But more information is necessary about the contract. Good luck

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Insurance Defense for North Carolina on
Q: I have been charged today (citation) for driving at 85mph on an highway with 65mph limit, lincoln county NC.

I am 26 living in NC and I don't have a single traffic ticket or violation so far and clean on my criminal records. Today I got a speeding citation(GS 20-141(J1)) on highway for driving 20mph over the limit of 65mph and was given court date. I am worried if this will impact my career since as... Read more »

Charlie Gray
Charlie Gray answered on Jul 30, 2021

Most counties reduce speeding tickets to give people an incentive to go ahead and take care of them. Technically, speeding at a high enough speed is treated as a criminal charge and, if convicted, would show up on a background check. Getting it reduced would address this and is usually how traffic... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense and Personal Injury for North Carolina on
Q: I fail out of a chair in a restaurant owner will not Release insurance information how can I find that out?
Rishona Peace
Rishona Peace answered on Dec 27, 2020

Best suggestion is to hire an attorney. An attorney will help navigate that process, and either contact the restaurant with a settlement demand or a legal complaint filed as a civil lawsuit based upon justifiable damages that you sustained as a result of the fall. Our firm would be more than happy... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense for North Carolina on
Q: My car got stolen from automotive shop found and its damage. I only have liability insurance and the shop says there not

How can I get my car fixed?

Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran answered on Oct 1, 2020

I strongly suspect that the shop has a duty to secure your car while it is on their property and that their insurance would cover these damages. Even if they do not have insurance you can almost certainly succeed in suing them for the cost of repairs, contact a local attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for North Carolina on
Q: How do I claim a life insurance fund from a person who recently passed. We were going to do it over the phone today

He passed last night and it was unexpected, so we didn’t have enough time to put me as a dependent

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 27, 2020

If anyone here is going to have insight into your situation, it's going to be lawyers in the Probate - Estate Planning sections here. You could contact one of the lawyers on this site, or seek someone independently through your own searches. It isn't insurance bad faith if a beneficiary... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense and Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina on
Q: If I was injured in an accidental apt fire the Landlord had insurance Coverage after the hospital bill is paid, am I too
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 9, 2020

It isn't fully clear from your question whether you're inquiring about reimbursement of your hospital bill, or compensation as an injury victim. You could contact a North Carolina attorney to discuss the matter in further detail; most attorneys who handle injury cases generally offer free... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Health Care Law and Insurance Defense for North Carolina on
Q: Wife and I are separated. Her employer had open enrollment for insurance. Do I have to carry her on my ins. still?

North Carolina. We have a child together and I will be carrying him on my insurance.

Adam Bull
Adam Bull answered on Nov 21, 2019

Generally yes, until there is a divorce decree or other court order addressing the issue.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense for North Carolina on
Q: I had a variable insurance policy lapsed due to the cost of insurance increase which I did not know.

I paid the premium as always they accepted and kept the payment and weeks later they told me the policy was in lapsed status. In order to get it reinstated I would have to pay 400.00. At the time I could not come up with that amount of money so they (Axa Financial) lapsed the policy.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 22, 2019

You could consult with a North Carolina attorney to review the policy and its terms and conditions for cancellation. However, it's possible that seeking coverage elsewhere could be more cost-effective and practical in terms of time and resources needed to look into the coverage lapse. Good... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for North Carolina on
Q: Is there any way to get justice for a fender bender the person in front is at fault

The woman was on hwr phone and stopped 15 ft before the lime at the light slamming on her breaks i was slowing down to come to a stop at the light and ended up haveing to slam on the breaks as well my leg is hurt ans my car is totaled all she has is a little scratch she knew she was at fault... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 18, 2019

First,contact a member of the NC Assn for Justice--they give free consults. Second, do not discuss this further on this page or any page, or facebook etc.

Yours is a very tough case----in part because while she is careless if she came to a complete stop that early, you have to leave enough...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for North Carolina on
Q: Auto insurance covering car fire after auto work done to car..

My small daughter and I were just involved in a car fire. My car had recently had a new transmission installed. after the fire I was looking at reasons why the fire could have started.. I found a recall I had not heard of before. I don’t believe it was the new transmission. Well I really hope... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 4, 2018

Your insurance covers the fire pretty much regardless of cause (i.e. won't cover it if caused by war, nuclear plant meltdown and other exceptions). Talk to your agent and don't get into who did what unless asked, Keep it simple. Car caught fire. Why I don't know. That's it.

Q: I live in Charlotte NC. I'm inquiring as to whether it's legal for my management company to charge me for renter's insur

I have renter's insurance bundled with my auto insurance policy. I informed the property company of this and they requested that I add them to the policy as a condition to removing the fee

Christian K. Lassen
Christian K. Lassen answered on Apr 2, 2018

It can be a term of the lease to have it

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense and Traffic Tickets for North Carolina on
Q: Received citation for "No Insurance" but I have insurance. Do I still have to pay citation? If not, how do I fight it?

So a couple of months ago when I was in a different state I had missed a payment on my auto insurance and it lapsed for a few weeks (I wasn't driving it at this time), and I quickly paid it when I returned. The problem is the DMV said I owed them a fine, and while I got the insurance taken... Read more »

Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson answered on Nov 3, 2017

When you allowed the lapse to happen, DMV decided to slap your hand as a reminder not to do that by charging you a fee.

When you forgot to pay the DMV fee, DMV decided to spank you a bit harder and suspended your tag. Because the fee and subsequent suspension were due to a lapse in...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Medical Malpractice for North Carolina on
Q: My question is how do l get medical ins. in N.C. when I'm on a fixed income & can't work ? I'm inbetween 60-65 yrs old.

1 was a bartender/server for 30 yrs. 10 yrs ago l was prescribed methadone for a medical condition not related to addiction & didn't need to work. Now, I'm fighting an addiction, and on a fixed income @ 62 yrs old. I'm in recovery & don't dare take the chance of being in... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 30, 2017

Hope you tell your GOP Senators and Congressman about this as they seem to think people like you can just get insurance and need no help. There are "spend down" and other ways if you are "medically needy" of qualifying for medical assistance, but these vary by state. See if... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for North Carolina on
Q: Should I be responsible for damages while on the job?

I work for a car dealership. While backing one of our new cars out of a spot up front I backed into another one of the dealerships cars. I was not being irresponsible and driving crazy. A lady whipped in behind me and at the angle she was parked I could not see the car. A week later my owner is... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 9, 2016

Depends on your employment agreement. Talk to your insurance about it--they may have a provision in your insurance saying they don't cover incidents where you are using a vehicle provided by your job.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.